Title: City of Fallen Angels
Author: Cassandra Clare
Date completed: 25the June 2017
Goodreads rating: 4 stars
What I Liked:
- Magnus and Alec. I won’t even bother. You already knew this.
- Isabelle. Isabelle’s character development has been spot on throughout these books, and she just keeps getting better. She’s pretty much my fave (aside from Magnus obvs) at the moment.
- The new side characters. I really enjoyed having the cast expand slightly from the characters in the first part of the series. It’s fun to see our Shadowhunters interact with other teenagers.
- The plot. I know a lot of people have criticised this book for its unnecessary plot, but I honestly really enjoyed it. It wasn’t at all what I expected, which I enjoy, and honestly it felt a lot more sophisticated than the first few Mortal Instruments books.
- The ending. I can’t even express how much I enjoyed this ending. IT WAS SO GOOD.
What I Didn’t Like
- Clary and Jace. I’m thoroughly bored of their relationship. Even though the reason for all the tension made sense later on in the book, I don’t feel like it was handled in a sophisticated enough way for it to be considered foreshadowing. Honestly, I just wanted to slap them both (especially Clary) and go back to hanging out with Magnus, Izzy, and Alec. Jace can maybe join us later, as long as he remains on his best behaviour
- The pacing. Not a whole lot of significant action really happens until the final few chapters. The action that does happen is great, but I wish more time had been devoted to cool plot points, and less time devoted to Clary and Jace. Mostly to Clary.
I did really enjoy City of Fallen Angels, particularly the final few chapters. I’ve accepted by now that I just don’t like Clary, but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the series. I really liked what this set up for the next two books, and I’m excited to see what happens next.